Climb Kilimanjaro via Marangu Route in 6 Days
The Marangu Route, often referred to as the “Coca-Cola Route,” is one of the popular trekking routes to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. It is known for being the oldest established route and offers hikers the option of staying in mountain huts rather than camping, providing a more comfortable experience. Here’s an overview of the Marangu Route:
The Marangu Route is considered to have a moderate difficulty level compared to other routes. It is suitable for hikers with some trekking experience and a reasonable level of fitness. However, it’s essential to note that climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is a challenging endeavor, and proper preparation, training, and acclimatization are crucial for a successful summit.
The Marangu Route typically takes 5 to 6 days to complete, including the summit attempt. The additional day is often used for acclimatization at Horombo Hut, which helps increase the chances of a successful summit.
Scenery and Terrain:
The Marangu Route offers diverse landscapes and breathtaking scenery throughout the trek. It begins in the lush rainforest zone, filled with dense vegetation and various wildlife. As you ascend, the vegetation changes to moorland and eventually transitions to an alpine desert environment known as the Saddle. The final ascent to Uhuru Peak is a steep and rocky section, passing through Gilman’s Point before reaching the summit.
One of the distinguishing features of the Marangu Route is the availability of mountain huts for accommodation. These huts provide shelter, sleeping facilities, and basic amenities such as toilets and dining areas. They offer a more comfortable option compared to camping but have limited capacity, so it’s essential to secure reservations in advance.
– The scenic beauty of the rainforest, with opportunities to spot unique flora and fauna along the way.
– The chance to experience the transition from lush vegetation to the stark lunar landscapes of the alpine desert.
– Spectacular views of the surrounding peaks, including Mawenzi, during the trek.
– The summit attempt to Uhuru Peak, the highest point in Africa, offering an incredible sense of achievement and panoramic vistas.
– Proper acclimatization is crucial for a successful summit. The additional acclimatization day at Horombo Hut on the Marangu Route helps increase the chances of reaching the summit.
– As the Marangu Route is one of the most popular routes, it can be crowded, especially during peak climbing seasons. It’s important to maintain a steady pace and be prepared for a shared experience with other trekkers.
Overall, the Marangu Route is a popular choice for climbers seeking a more comfortable accommodation option while summiting Mount Kilimanjaro. With its well-established infrastructure and moderate difficulty level, it provides an opportunity to embark on a remarkable journey to the “Roof of Africa.” However, it’s essential to approach the trek with proper preparation, physical fitness, and a spirit of adventure to maximize your chances of a successful summit.
Price and Dates.
- Begin your Marangu Route adventure by trekking through lush rainforests, covering a distance of approximately 8 kilometers. Arrive at Mandara Hut, your accommodation for the night.
- Continue your ascent, traversing across moorland landscapes for approximately 11 kilometers. Reach Horombo Hut, where you will spend the night and acclimatize to the higher altitude.
- Trek approximately 10 kilometers through alpine desert terrain, with stunning views of Mawenzi Peak. Arrive at Kibo Hut, your basecamp for the final push to the summit.
The most challenging day awaits as you undertake the ascent to Uhuru Peak, the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. Cover a distance of around 6 kilometers to reach Gilman's Point and continue for an additional 2 kilometers to reach the ultimate summit. Descend back to Horombo Hut, covering a total distance of approximately 14 kilometers.
Descend further, making your way through the alpine desert and moorland. Trek approximately 20 kilometers to Mandara Hut, where you will spend the night and reflect on your remarkable achievement.
Conclude your Marangu Route trek by descending through the rainforest, covering approximately 9 kilometers. Arrive at the park gate and celebrate the successful completion of your Mount Kilimanjaro adventure.
- Pick up Kilimanjaro Airport, transfer to lodge/hotel
- Transfer lodge/hotel to Kilimanjaro Airport
- Private guide speaking fluently English
- Private cook speaking fluently English
- Park Fees for National park
- Porters who carry your luggage
- High-quality tents
- Chairs and tables for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Rescue fee
- Portable toilet
- International flight tickets and tourist visa
- Accommodation on the day of arrival and departure
- Insurances (travel, flying doctors, etc)