Safari Packing & Baggage – What you need for your Tanzania Safari
Travelling to Tanzania: What to pack for your safari & clothes to wearIt is best way to pack for a safari in the bush is to prepare a packing list and to have two soft duffel type bags for the safari: One with the majority of your belongings that will be for your use in camp or at the lodges; and a smaller one that will travel with you in the safari vehicle to contain your photo equipment, sunscreen, hat, jacket and other personal items. The following list encompasses most of all the cloth wear you need to pack for the safari activities and based on your individual safari itinerary you may want to shorten or otherwise alter the list.
AFRICAN SAFARI PACKING LIST
- Good quality sunglasses – preferably polarized.
- Sun hat
- Golf-shirts, T-shirts and long-sleeved cotton shirts
- Long trousers/slacks
- Underwear (sports bra recommended on game drives as the roads can be bumpy and uneven) and socks
- Good walking shoes (running/tennis shoes are fine)
- Swimming costume
- Warm Anorak or Parka, scarf & gloves (it can get cold at night and early morning)
- Light rain gear for the rainy months
- Camera and video equipment
- If you wear contact lenses, we recommend that you bring along a pair of glasses in case your eyes get irradiated by the dust
- Binoculars highly recommended
- Relevant bird book if you are a keen birder
- Personal toiletries
- Malaria prevention tablets
- Moisturizing cream, lip balm & suntan lotion
- Insect repellent e.g. Tabard, Rid, Jungle Juice, etc
- Basic medical kit (aspirins, plasters, Imodium, antiseptic cream and Anti-histamine cream etc)
- Tissues/”Wet Wipes”
- Visas, tickets, passports, money and important documents
- Waterproof/dustproof bags/cover for your cameras.
- A good torch and spare batteries.
- Padlocks for your luggage during international and regional flights